This was always my mom's favorite time of year. She loved decorating the entire house, making everything look nice and she loved to take advantage of EVERY event of the season. One tradition she started, that we've continued, is the Boat Parade. We all meet at 15th Street in Balboa and sit on the sand with our hot cocoa & watch the decked out boats pass through the harbor. She used to put together The Twelve Days of Christmas with a special treat for each day. We helped her deliver to friends and neighbors every night of the twelve days of Christmas by dropping off the gift then ding dong ditching. I LOVED to help with this when I was younger...not so much, the older I got:). One thing we joke about now and tell stories of most is how every year Christmas morning, we were up at the crack of dawn anxious to see what Santa brought, (of course mom & dad were just getting to bed...if they went to bed AT ALL). The rule was, no one was allowed in the living room before mom or dad came to get us. So we would patiently wait...the younger ones begging the older ones to wake up and go get mom & dad and FINALLY one of them would come to get us, usually Mom. She'd say, "Merry Christmas! And we would all say "Merry Christmas!" and then she would say, "Now everyone go comb your hair and brush your teeth first before you come down and see what Santa brought!" By the time they were actually ready for us to go in the living room, half of the kids were crying, and then it took what seemed like an hour to us, to get a picture together where all 12 of us were smiling or at least appeared to be having fun. (I'll have to find one of those pictures to share:)) As frustrated as we all would get, it was worth it. Everything was always perfect! All of the gifts were carefully placed, covering every square inch of the room, a huge pot of hot chocolate was on the stove, and of course a Christmas record, yes, record would be playing.
Some of the best memories!!!
She is incredibly missed, and I think of her often. I am so grateful for her. For the example she set for all of us, for everything she taught me, and for her courage and strength. I hope to continue her traditions with my own family and create the same kind of memories I have and will always cherish.
Merry Christmas Mom! 
Wednesday, December 26, 2007
Memories of Mom at Christmas
Posted by
DAVE AND KATIE
at
10:54 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
thanks for sharing your Memories of your Mom with us.. that was really special to hear.
You guys did get spoiled on Christmas:)
Sniff sniff..... that was fun to read. Mom did make everything special!
Katie-
I found your blog through Nancy's. What a great post about your mom.
Post a Comment